Friday, May 16, 2008

Understanding Her Language

We have had such good communication today! So far we've only missed one, which I knew was going to happen because I recognised her signals, but she was in the wrap, almost asleep, and I was dashing down the street, so I let it go and changed her when we got a chance.

What was really amazing about today was how clearly I could understand what she was telling me. When we got home she needed to wee. She was tensing her legs, arching her back so she was like a stiff little board and she was making frustrated little moans at me. I held her over her EC tub and caught a wee, then wiped her and lied her down in front of me for a play. As I lied her down she moaned at me in a way that was so obvious it was as if she had opened her mouth and said "I'm not done Mama" in plain English! So I picked her up again and held her over her tub and bang caught another one. This happened a few more times. This afternoon she's been doing lots of little wees every ten or fifteen minutes.

She will still go when she needs to if I don't respond quickly enough to her communication these days, but she prefers to be held over her tub, or a sink or bowl or toilet. She will tense and squeal (she has a squeal she does with her mouth shut that general means "EC time!") and as soon as we hold her in position over her tub she relaxes and goes (and usually has a little chat to us while she is going, cute little baby sounds that mean "aaah that's better." and "I doin'k a wee".

And we have replaced our old catching bowl with the tupperwear at home as well as when we are on the go. But I plan to give our review of the catching items a post of its own later.

No comments: