Friday, April 4, 2008

Baby's Say More Than Just "Feed Me!"? No Way!

I noticed during the day that our baby was starting to get nappy rash, which made me sad, and made me think about how unfair it is - she haaaates nappy changes, and they go for much longer when we need to coat her bum with soothing cream. Breastfeeding is going well, we have nowhere to go today, so it feels like the perfect time to start ECing.

I put myself on high alert. I want to recognise her elimination cues and get her to the potty before she goes. I'm feeling like she doesn't have cues, or at least I am very blind to them. She pees on me what seems like without warning!

The process is starting to make me feel like I don't know my baby at all :( I'm discovering that I mistake every little sound, movement and facial expression she does as a cry for booba. She's seven weeks old and I've only just worked out her cue for "I'm going to vomit!", for the first six weeks I'd be trying to shove a breast in her mouth as she fought to get it away so she could get her up-chuck out! I'm realising that learning to communicate about elimination is going to strengthen my connection to my baby no-end. It really is going to tune me into her and make me follow her lead rather than decide for myself what she needs and try to make her comply, like I had been doing with breastfeeding *blush*

Before going to bed I jump online to do some more reading and read the tribalbaby site which suggests starting off slow using the timing method, and learn babe's cues from that. What a great idea! That's what I'll do tomorrow.

At the end of day 1 we have no catches and too many misses to count!

No comments: