Monday, April 14, 2008

Let Go of Expectations & Just Trust

I've been finding it hard to trust her and listen to her rather than tell her what she needs at any given time. Sometimes she stirs in her sleep and I misread it as a cue and take her to the potty only to unnecessarily wake her and upset her :( Other times I hold her over the potty for ages only to discover that she never needed to go. I still feel like I'm flying blind, but I am aware of the high standards I expect of myself with everything I try my hand at, so I am trying to chill out and remind myself that it's not about me or getting results, it's about listening to her.

With that in mind, yesterday I was holding a sleepy baby who slowly began to wake and decided to leave her be and probably miss a wee, but eventually she became wide awake with a look of concentration and I said to her Dad "looks like the face of someone who's considering eliminating" so I held her over the potty and almost immediately she wee'd into it.

Not long after I noticed her squirming with frustration so I offered her the potty again and she did a poo immediately. Earlier I said that I found it hard to differentiate between her different motivations behind restlessness, but I think I'm starting to get it now. When it's about poo or wee she is not just squirming or kicking, it's sort of forced, and there is tension in her movements, she seems frustrated. Still not 100% sure, but I will keep my eye on this. And on a wee that I missed I realised afterwards that I had been trying to make eye contact with her but she had been avoiding it, so that could be a sign wee is to come.

The cool milestone for the day though, was that I caught a wee in front of some friends who came to meet our baby today :) And they didn't think we were hippy freaks at all, they thought it made good sense.

Yesterday's stats: 8 wee's and 1 poo. Sadly, yesterday I missed her second poo - the first poo miss in eight days!

No comments: