Friday, April 18, 2008

I am Just the Catcher, Not the Commander

For all my focus on what her elimination cues might be I have paid little attention to her daily rhythms. In using the timing method all I have really done is offered her the potty upon waking. A limited approach with limited success, and not at all about communicating or engaging in diolgue with her. It's far more like potty training, which is not at all what EC is about, where you train your child to hold it in until a convenient time and then let them release. EC is about helping her release when she wants to. I'm supposed to be responding to her! Not expecting or trying to make her go when it suits me.

In the hope of getting in touch with her natural rhythms I have been making a note of what times she eliminates as well as what she is doing at that time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What people are you mixing with that train their kids to go potty at the parents convenience?? Yikes!! That kinda freaks me out! As someone going down what feels like a reeeeeeally long road of toilet training with their little person (its been a year and we are at the same stage) I wonder how on earth people train their kids to pee when they want them to... Bribery? Star charts?
How bizarre...maybe that's why everyone else seems to not take so long to get their person to use the toilet, I no longer feel so weird for it taking so long. Thanks!!!
And apologies for the bizarre and rambly comment LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I was pretty horrified by it too. "do you need to go? Hold on! Hold on!" kids have to hold on til they get to the potty and then they get clapped and cheered for peeing in the potty, and probably shamed if they can't hold it in :( But really, what do we expect from the word "training"? I wonder if there's an attachment parenting alterantive term for toilet training?

Anonymous said...

maybe toilet learning or toilet awareness or something?? Dunno but the word training shits me... I usually put it in '' because I don't train, but not sure what else to call it.